The ICS secondary library provides access to information and ideas and serves grades 6 through 12 as well as users from other areas of the school community. We offer an integrated information literacy and literature appreciation program that is a collaborative effort between the librarian and the teaching staff. Our library is intended to be a quiet place to browse our shelves, read, research, work on class assignments and study. Library users are asked to be considerate of the materials, the facility, staff and other users at all times, whether they are with a class or using the library independently during free time.
Collection – Library resources are used to provide ICS students with learning experiences that promote an appreciation of reading and literature, information resource skills and problem solving abilities. The secondary library offers a great selection of books, periodicals, video and reference materials, as well as a wide variety of online resources. These are updated annually. The library also has computer workstations connected to the Internet and the on-line catalog. The library website can be accessed for online library resources.
Loan Policy – Patrons may borrow materials up to 10 items at a time for a 2 week loan period and may be renewed.
Overdue Materials – All patrons are expected to return library materials in a timely manner. The librarian will advise students (and other patrons) of any outstanding items.
Lost & Damaged Materials – Patrons will be fined the price of materials that are lost and or damaged beyond repair.
Here are some important links:
• IBO for Students http://www.ibo.org/informationfor/students/
• IB4 Students http://www.shambles.net/pages/staff/ARandR/ibstudent/
• Free documentaries online http://freedocumentaries.org/
• Top Documentary Films http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/
• PBS http://www.pbs.org/
Creative Commons http://creativecommons.org/
• NY Public Library Digital Gallery http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/index.cfm
• International Newspapers - thousands of newspapers listed by country and region http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/ethiopia.htm
• Outstanding Books for the College Bound http://www.librarything.com/bookaward/ALA+Outstanding+Books+for+the+Coll...
• Teen Reads http://www.teenreads.com/
• What to read next? Try the Book Seer! http://bookseer.com/
Research @ ICS
• BibMe (bibliography maker) http://www.bibme.org/
• EasyBib (bibliography maker) http://www.easybib.com/
• Choose the best search from NoodleTools http://www.noodletools.com/debbie/literacies/information/5locate/advicee...
• Purdue U. MLA Guide http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/
• Wordnik (dictionary & thesaurus) http://www.wordnik.com/
• Big 6 Resources http://nb.wsd.wednet.edu/big6/big6_resources.htm