ICS STEM Team earns Silver medals at ISSEA Tournament!
The ICS STEM team traveled to Lusaka, Zambia, last week to compete in the ISSEA STEM Tournament. It was an intense week, with individual and group competitions in Mathematics, Science and Robotics. Amanuel Amogne, Daniel Hodeta, Fiker Negash, Gebrella Dagne, Huqi Liu, Kidus Amare, Mohamed Baobeid, Myles De Jong, Nathenael Gemechu, Nobel Manaye, Phuc Bui, Runze Ma, Sarra El-Hamzaoui, and Yongle (Jack) Yuan all worked together well and represented ICS with energy and good sportsperson ship.
The team all worked hard, but some of the individual or group achievements deserve special commendations:
- Nati, Sarra, Huqi, and Kidus all were excellent communicators, appearing on stage and delivering inspiring STEM Talks to all the teams and coaches
- Fiker, Sarra, Daniel and Nati were risk-takers and participated in the Science Jeopardy! contest, competing in front of all the teams
- Yongle (Jack) showed how knowledgeable he was by taking 1st place in the individual Mathematics event. Nati, Daniel and Amanuel all placed in the top 10!
- Yongle and Nati also earned 1st place in the Mathematics pairs event, while Fiker & Gebrella and Nati & Amanuel also placed in the top 10.
- Runze & Kidus, Aman & Nati, Huqi & Mohamed, and Sarra & Gabi were all excellent inquirers, earning ICS 1st place in their Science events. Phuc & Fiker & Nobel, Aman & Nati, and Gabi & Sarra also earned 2nd place showings for ICS in their Science events.
- Mohamed & Myles represented the Robotics team on stage for a nail-biting head-to-head competition! They beat the undefeated ISK in an exciting final round of the double-elimination tournament, forcing a second final round which they then lost by only 3 points!
In the end, ICS came in 2nd in both Science and Mathematics, and 3rd in Robotics, earning the school a silver medal for 2nd place overall. Congratulations to the team and to coaches Mr Maddock, Mr Gunther and Mr. Iglar!
More information, photos and videos of the STEM Talks are on the tournament's Facebook page.