Living in Addis - Helpful Tips
New places and transitions can sometimes be difficult on everyone in the family. We hope we can help make the transition a little easier. ICS has a very active and engaged parent community, both in the classroom and at the many family and parent social events. Two main parent groups which love new parents are the ICS Parent Community Link /PCL and our ICS Booster Club.
Welcome to Addis Guide
ICS maintains a guide to living in Addis Ababa, with many useful contacts, tips and advice on topics from health, education and entertainment to shopping and history. It is as up-to-date as possible, but information in Addis is continually changing. You can download the pdf of the guide or use the Welcome Guide website, which is the most updated version.
Contact With A Current Family
Prospective and incoming ICS families interested in communicating with a current ICS family are welcome to contact the Admissions Office for more information. We have a group of parents willing to answer questions from prospective ICS families; they represent 30 languages and have lived in more than 70 countries.
We recommend subscribing to the listservs and email groups for Addis listed below, as those have the most up-to-date information. There is a bulletin board with some sale items at ICS and we have a binder of household staff information at the reception desk at ICS.
- ICS Addis Community Facebook Group - a group for ICS community members only (parents and employees); new parents with children entering ICS may join
- What's Happening in Addis on Facebook - great place to get answers to your questions
- Living in Addis - Facebook page for the excellent Living in Addis website
- Sell and Buy (Ethiopia) - where to sell and buy second-hand items.
- Events in Addis - what's happening
- Buy and Sell Anything in Ethiopia - where to sell and buy second-hand items
- Broads Abroad - "Broads Abroad is designed to help expatriate women thrive in Ethiopia"
- Listserv for questions on living in Ethiopia
- Google group Odds & Sods that gives updated listings of classifieds, inquiries, etc…for the expat community. Visit link to join group.
- Addis Map
- Addis map on open source. See ICS and nearby locations
- Google map with a few major places indicated, including ICS
- Living in Addis blog
- Edna mall on Facebook
- Edna Mall movie theater listings
- Lafto Center fitness center, pool, mall and supermarket, near ICS
- Ethiopia Hotel Guide
- Community tourism website
OTHER INFORMATION SITES
- Living in Addis - an up-and-coming website with lots of information
- This is Addis website
- "Your complete guide to entertainment, food, art, business and events in Addis Ababa"
- African arts (particularly Ethiopia)
- What's Out:a monthly newsletter which promotes and highlights arts and cultural events in Addis Ababa (available in hard copy at ICS reception)